Thursday, January 24, 2008

E-The ever-changing, unpredictable path of life

I think it would be an understatement to say that in the past couple of years I have spent a good deal of my time and energy on my quest to be a fire fighter. I don't regret the choices I have made........however it can be really difficult at times because all this effort has come to nothing. Well, not nothing, because I have gained some skills and hopefully become a better candidate. However, until I actually get offered the job, all of my effort feels a little futile.

I sit once again in the waiting game. I have done my part and now my fate rests with others. I have taken all of the courses, done the necessary studying, gotten appropriate work and volunteer experiences. For this specific process I have passed the written and physical evaluations, done two interviews and a weekend of skills and teamwork evaluation. I have been on hall tours and studied about the department. It is the seventh time I have done such preparation and about the 20th time I have applied to a fire department.

Maybe tomorrow it will all end. Maybe I will get a call saying "congratulations, we would like to hire you". With only one job available, the odds aren't in my favour.......but it could happen. On the other hand, the process could be over for me and I will have to start all over again with my 21st process. Ahhhh life. You just never really know what to expect.

No comments: