Monday, January 9, 2012

Our boy is 5...


Above you can see a picture of the awesome cake that Mandy made for Lukey and Lars to celebrate their birthdays. It was gorgeous. December 4th he turned five.

Five years old. Such a strange thing, because the blog is the same age. It seems odd to write about Lukey getting older here...I just have to click a button on this site to see the video of him coming home for the first time from the hospital.

It is the blink of an eye. And yet, I know how lucky I am. As much as I feel the passage of time keenly with my big boy in school, his long legs in big kid jeans and with a backpack on his back full of everything he needs for his whole day at school...I can also still see the baby he was so clearly. It is just behind the veneer of grown kid. It's in the little looks he still gives, the way he pinches my earlobe with love, unconscious that he even does it as he talks to me. He also pinches the skin at the back of my elbow a lot. I don't like that one as much.

He woke up last night and came into our bed, as he still does most nights. He cuddled up to me and told me that I was beautiful and he loved me. His eyes weren't even open. His voice was barely a mumble, but I heard it clearly.

These little gifts are the vestiges of babyhood. I gobble them up fiercely. The are an endangered species. The worst kind of endangered. Guaranteed to go extinct.


So far, he is a good person. He is generous to a fault. He enjoys things more when they are shared. Except possibly with his sisters on occasion.

He is self-confident and self-contained. He has a great laugh and he uses it often. He likes big words. Poor little guy, he doesn't get picture books anymore, really. Every night we read chapter books and he follows right along, asking great questions, keeping track of the plot and characters.

He loves toys more than his sisters. He has more than the two girls put together. One of his vices is the constant desire for more toys. Never enough. But he plays with them, every day.

Playmobil and Lego. And lots of it.

He makes me laugh, too. All the time. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. He doesn't mind which. While we were in Key West, he told me he'd seen "a man with earrings in a very dangerous place...his nibbles!". He meant nipples of course. He didn't care that we laughed. He knew we were laughing WITH him.

He has a temper, but it takes quite a bit to get to it. When it goes, it really lets loose. I think I know someone else like that.

He's a picky eater. There are only a few things he likes. Everything else is bad. That's a lot of things.

I can't imagine life without him. It makes sense that this blog can be found at lucasbutler.com...we started this record of our family when he arrived. He made us complete, we were just waiting for him to join us.




No comments: