Tuesday, July 23, 2013

E- the other kind of camp

I've been a bit torn the last couple of years about how to spend our summers.

On the one hand it's great to run basketball camps, give our and other kids a chance to be immersed in a fun and positive learning environment that I get to control. On the other hand, it's hard to not want to get outside, get away from town, go to Point Roberts, go on the boat, camp...enjoy the beautiful but short summer season as much as possible. On a gloomy November morning, spending all day in a gym isn't how I usually daydream the the return of summer.

For the last couple of years, I've run 1 week of camp. This year it sold out (any more than 32 in the gym gets to be too chaotic) in a few minutes, and I decided to trade a little more sunshine for the hardwood this year.

I had a fantastic crew of guys working with me...Joey Vickery, Navi Sekhon, Casey Archibald, Josh Bowie, Tommy Nixon, Bira Bindra and Geoff Pippus all helped put on a great camp. The players got great coaching, and seemed to love the experience.





Joey stayed with us for the 2 weeks. Because we hadn't spent enough time in the gym already, Joey and I played pick up games with the UBC team, my Police Fire games team (getting ready for Vegas in August), down at Kits beach and Dunbar community centre. It was great playing with Joey again, who at 46 is still able to control a game like no one else around here.

I also brought down the barbeque, beers and a volleyball net to Kits beach and played a game with some of the other coaches from our camps and program. The kids joined us at the end for some volleyball and a swim out to the raft.

No comments: