Friday, April 20, 2007

E-No break for single parents

As one of two parents, raising 3 children, life often feels like it consists of a continual series of things that need to get done. However, as a single parent, I can really see how difficult it can be to ever find time for myself. Alright, in the spirit of full disclosure, it has only been two days, I now am only responsible for 2 children and I have family help in town. Never-the-less, it is a good glimpse into how challenging it must be to raise kids alone, especially if you don't have much support.

The girls and I enjoyed a nice Spring day yesterday, riding bikes and playing in the court yard. Well, at least Finny and I enjoyed it. As soon as we were outside, Molly, surrounded by friends, toys, balls and bikes, decided it was time to loudly repeat over and over "I'm bored. I'm bored Daddy." I couldn't figure out why she was saying this. She had just about everything she could want. Then I remembered that earlier I had told her, that after playing, we would walk up to Shopper's Drugmart to see her friend who works their, Sandy Posnikoff. Sandy, apart from being a sweet lady who is always ready to greet the kids with smile and a hug, is particularly popular in our house because she often gives the kids treats when they visit. I get a lot of requests for "let's go see Sandy". Anyways, my point is, this behaviour yesterday was a good insight into the psyche of a 4 year old. While games, sunshine, toys, bike's and friends are pretty good on their own, when compared to candy (and Sandy), they are pretty "boring".

No comments: