Thursday, October 23, 2008

Now We Are Six


Pictures all taken on October 11, 2008

The End
When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five, I was just alive.
But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.
-- A.A. Milne from Now We Are Six

With the regularity of our blogging having taken a steep decline, I cannot detail all the happenings around here lately, but I would be seriously remiss to not mention Molly turning six.



Our six year old. A wonderful girl. A gentle, tender soul who is much concerned with the well-being and comfort of those around her. She can still astound me with the depths of her daily kindness. Her greatest generosities are reserved for her brother. He is the recipient of constant tickles, cuddles and drive-by kisses. But come to think of it, so are we all.



Molly retains the most delicious immaturity. No Hannah Montana or High School Musical for this little girl. She is all stuffed animals and baby dolls. She still sneaks her hand up the sleeve of my shirt to give my arm soft rubs. All you have to do is mention hugs and she sprints to your lap. For a mummy who craves numerous daily doses of butterfly kisses and neck nuzzles, she is the ideal offspring.




But not at all babyish, our Molly. Maturity abounds. She shows compassion and empathy unlike any I am capable of. Her imagination is well developed and well used. Her new love of reading is opening up fresh worlds to her, something that is nothing short of pure pleasure for me to observe and share.

This girl is a treasure. All six years of her.


Molly had three birthday parties: two with family and one with friends. The friends one was today (a little late, but give me a break!!). We picked up the kids (9 of her friends, consisting of 8 girls and 1 brave boy...you're the best, Nate!) from school and then braved traffic to get out to the Westham Island Herb Farm pumpkin patch. Just let me insert a hat's off to Karen, our guide, and the Ellis Family for the fantastic farm experience.



This was a very real farm and the tour offered to the kids was informative, age-appropriate, and tons of fun, not to mention great birthday party value. We saw cows, chickens, donkeys, and a rabbit. The kids got to feed the animals; a pretty unique opportunity for our little urbanites.



They even got to see a barn stuffed to the rafters with hundreds of thousands of potatoes, all destined for the White Spot french fryer. Actually, I thought it was sort of reassuring to think of a big chain locally sourcing their produce. Makes me think a little more positively about the old Pirate Pack.



They had a haunted house set up, which the girls went through screaming the whole way (note to self: ear plugs wouldn't be a bad idea when next hosting six year old girls...they aren't so much loud...it's really just the pitch that is problematic). They kids headed into the adjoining patch to pick a pumpkin.




Then it was back to a beautiful picnic area in the middle of the Herb Farm to enjoy birthday cupcakes.I have nothing but glowing praise for Westham Island Farm...they really extended themselves and offered a truly terrific experience for a gaggle of six years olds.




Next, it was off to Eric's fire hall in Ladner.



He gave the kids a tour of the trucks and then offered a demonstration of how he quickly dons his turnout gear for a fire. Once he was suited up, the shift captain offered me a hose and told me to soak him. Which I did. Good fun. Sadly, our camera battery had died by them, so no pictures. Molly opened gifts and then it was time to troop home. I think the kids had a good time and Molly seemed to have fun, so mission accomplished.

1 comment:

Darren Barefoot said...

Whew, for a second there I thought you were having yet another kid. Or, you know, adopting one from North Korea.