Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Traditions



One of the traditions we have tried to maintain over the years is taking the kids to a movie as a reward at the end of a long school year. This year, it was Madagascar 3. We went to the Dunbar theatre tonight, after our school year-end picnic.

It was funny. The funniest part was listening to the kids laugh, though.

As an aside, when did movies get so expensive? I know they are expensive, but seriously. That's crazy.

The picnic tonight was lovely. Tons of families, making for great company and lots of fun for the kids.

Lukey was keen to play soccer, so he went complete with his shin pads. He was having a blast until a ball he kicked ahead of himself inadvertently tripped up on of his friends in kindergarten, Bracken. Bracken went down hard on the tarmac, crumpled in a heap of orange frilly dress and Where's Waldo leg warmers. There were tears and a mildly scraped knee.

Right away, Lukey was at her side. He rubbed her back and patted her arm. But then I noticed that he was facing away from her. I couldn't tell why until I got a little closer. He was crying, too. As soon as I got to him, he threw himself at me. He told me it was all his fault and that he was a bad kid for tripping his friend. He said he wished he'd fallen instead of her (particularly since he was wearing padding...).

Bracken got a band-aid and carried on. Lukey took a little longer. Even after Bracken told him it wasn't his fault and that he was a sweet boy.

I couldn't agree more.

No comments: