Wednesday, March 12, 2008

E- Not exactly the requisite F 150

I have had a little over a week since getting my offer of employment to adapt to my new status. After a couple of years of the same thing, it's kind of weird to not be constantly thinking "what next?". Well actually, there will always be a part of me that thinks this way........but now I now have some freedom to focus on something other than the ever-frustrating fire department hiring process.

For 15 years I had one pretty strong goal that I focused on every day- to become the best basketball player I could be. While not claiming to be the best player in the world, I am proud of where I ended up considering where I started at the end of high school. Before the basketball goal even ended, I had moved on to the next one- to get hired as a fire fighter. Obviously I will now move much of this focus into being the best fire fighter I can. However, I am guessing that I will still have more time and energy left for other things than I did the last couple of years, and I am excited by that.

I have no doubt that my job as a fire fighter will be great for the family. After 2 day shifts followed by two nights, I will have 4 days off. Also, for the first time, probably ever in my life, I will have paid holidays. Having worked in lower paying, no benefit, temporary positions over the last couple of years, I really appreciate how lucky I am to have this time off. I am excited about getting to do some trips with the family as well as taking some time to hang out and do nothing.

Knowing me though, I won't be doing nothing too long. I would like to get back into teaching/coaching basketball again if the right opportunity becomes available. I have a few financial/investing goals I would like to devote more time to as well. For now however, I am happy to finish up my current job and get ready to get my ass kicked on the fire training ground. I expect a particularly tough initial few weeks of work.

Part of my preparation involves getting a new car. The only thing I felt was a real downside to taking the Delta job will be the commute. We definitely need a second car on which I will put a decent number of kilometres per year. It bothers me a little that I can't go to work without spewing a bunch of CO2 into the atmosphere, so I am looking for ways to reduce my impact. An electric car would be perfect but that won't happen for a few years. I have been looking at the option to get a diesel car that has been converted to run on waste oil. This basically makes the car carbon neutral...which I feel good about....but involves a lot of unknowns and potential problems for the car....not so good given my knowledge of engines. I have been looking at making an offer on this Mercedes but feel the price is a bit high and I don't know enough about conversions to spend this type of money. If anyone reading this blog knows anything about this, or has any good car suggestions, please let me know.

No comments: