Monday, March 24, 2008

E- Week one

Last weekend it really sank in that we were no longer a one car family. With Molly in school and both girls currently taking many different programs (skating, swimming, gymnastics, muli-sport and gardening?) it wouldn't work for me to commute to Delta without buying another car. I have already blogged about my search for the ideal vehicle, but all of a sudden it was time to get practical. I settled on a Volkswagen Jetta Diesel wagon because they are great cars that get almost unbeatable fuel economy. With most of my commute on the highway, the Jetta should get better mileage than a hybrid. Also, if it works out, I can make some bio-diesel out of waste oil in Point Roberts to further reduce my impact. I scoured Craigslist and EBAY Motors as well as local dealerships but it was hard to find a good deal on such a car. I found most people were asking at least $15,000, even for Jetta Diesels with 200,000 kilometers on them.

2003 VW Volkswagen Jetta TDI,wagon,60,000km, ext warrenty - $17888

Reply to: sale-606242119@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-03-14, 12:02PM PDT

2003 VW volkswagen Jetta TDI, diesel , wagon , gold extiorer , 5spd, tan leather,front heated seats, cd power everything, absolutly mint condition! 60,000km! with extended warrenty!


When I found this post on Craigslist I didn't hesitate to pack the family out to Maple Ridge for a test drive. Lucas loved the showroom full of new cars to explore but threw a hissy fit when we had to pry his fingers off the steering wheel to leave. We were happy with the test drive and, after a little bargaining, felt like we were coming away with a pretty good deal. Although only time will tell, the fact that I had a fair idea of the market value and that the person who priced and sold us the car, Pav, had only started his first job earlier in the week, made us feel that we weren't getting taking for a ride by the used car dealer.

On Sunday night Judy organized a belated birthday dinner for me, which doubled as a celebration of the new job about to start. A good time was had by all, but there was a little complaining about having to wear silly hats for the picture.

On Monday morning I started my career with Delta Fire and Emergency Services. We are training at Hall 1 for the first two weeks and then we will assigned to our home hall where we will take on regular duties, including responding to calls. For last week and next however, everything is taking place on the training ground. We have been practicing on car fires, gas spills, house fires as well as lots of hose, ladder and first aid work. The days are long and tiring with lots of learning to be done. However, considering the importance of feeling competent in these skills, I wouldn't want it any other way.

We decided to relax down in Point Roberts for the weekend. Steve and Cathy joined Mike, Kate and their girls at our place on Saturday afternoon for a few beers and an Easter egg hunt for the kids.

No comments: