Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Apples of my Eye

Eric has already covered the event of our daughter's fifth birthday fairly exhaustively. Suffice to say, a good time was had by (almost) all. Finny held up well in the face of an onslaught of tantalizing and not-for-her gifts. Molly has been gracious in allowing Finny to hold her kite string, kick her soccer ball, test-spin her new bike, and look at her fairy paper dolls (look...not touch).

I even feel as though I got off lightly. The evening of Molly's birthday was masterfully conducted by my mom, and the kids' version was a phenomenal success at Rocky Mountain Flatbread Company. Therefore, very little was actually handled by me. In fact, I am ashamed to admit I didn't even bake a cake. As a brief aside, there was some confusion on a recent car-ride. Finny was privy (via Gram) to the menu for Molly's birthday dinner. In an effort to dangle some classified information in front of her sister, she confided to us that dessert would be very special this year: Gram was making chicken cake. I requested clarification, only to be reassured that she definitely meant chicken cake, that was what Gram had said. Molly, logically, considered the very sad possibility of not eating her own birthday cake this year. It took a good three or four very confused minutes of conversation before I realized Finny's flaw of comprehension. DINNER was going to be chicken POT PIE. Sort of confusing, right? Problem solved. Except that dessert was Black Forest Cake, which isn't much more illuminating as a name...it sure isn't made of forests...

The highlight of this weekend was taking the three kids to the Apple Festival out at UBC. I have a slight addiction issue with the Mutsu apples, and they alone are worth the trip. The weather was spectacular and the kids and I had fun gorging on apple chips, apple cider, apples and more apples. We're good for fiber for a while.

No comments: