Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Cherchez!



Since living in France and putting on five pounds of bread weight, I have gotten pretty snooty about baguettes. When they are good, they are worth every gram of nutritionless tastiness. When they are bad, they aren't good enough to blow my nose into. Most days on my way home from work in Paris, I bought a baguette to have with dinner. And most days, I crossed our doorstep with about one-fifth left and a face covered in crumbs.

Yesterday, Molly and I happened upon Mix. I have heard good things about their bread and so I had to try the rustic baguette. Verdict: pretty darn good.

Just in case you are interested, the best baguette I have had in the city was from the now closed Champs Elysee bakery. C'est dommage. You would think La Baguette & L'Echalote on Granville Island would be a logical winner, but I was very disappointed in their offering. However, their take-and-bake potato bread is to die for. Terra Breads makes a mean baguette, I think. Anyone else have any suggestions?

No comments: