Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Valentimes

Before you mentally chastise me for spelling Valentine wrong, I will point out that this is how Molly still think the holiday is pronounced. She has even written the word out a few times, but it hasn't twigged that it is an "n" not an "m'. Although, upon further consideration, it sort of makes more sense Molly's way, since it is the time of Valens...you know, like Easter time or Christmas time? I don't know, it's late. Give me a break.



So, I knit the kids their own hearts. Each was as different from each other as the kids are themselves.



They liked them alright. The girls were kind about them, wearing them around their wrists and complimenting them. Lucas looked at me like I had taken leave of my senses, then promptly stashed his red heart in some dark location from which I have yet to unearth it. Fair enough, I guess. Today I bought a bunch of pussy willows and I am going to hang them from the branches. At least, the two I can find...

Plus, I got totally trumped in the knitted gift department, since my mom produced a doll for each kid, complete with two knitted outfits each and panties. Yes, you read that right.

Below is Rosie, Finny's doll, posing with doughnuts. I will get some good photographs of the dolls to post later. The only consolation is that Lukey hasn't warmed to his doll any more than to his heart. The kid hates knitters.



Valentine's Day was off to a rocky start yesterday morning due to some less than peaceful behaviour from our middle child...tears and whining about having to go to Molly's soccer game (normally the whining about soccer is left to Molly herself). So I dropped Finny off at my mom and dad's on the way to the game. She then puked her guts out for a couple of hours. So, yeah. Mother of the Year here. I was pretty crusty at the poor ill waif, who clearly was grumpy because she was SICK. Sorry Finny.

In honour of the day, I even made a hair heart (of sorts) for Molly's soccer game.




We came back to my parents and had Valentine's tea. There were even little sandwiches and jello cream. It was a treat, except for Finny, who turned a pronounced shade of green at the sight of food. Truthfully, she turns a slight shade of green at the sight of any food (ask Eric, he claims she is pickier than him...so, wow...). In fact, I made the girls popcorn for a movie today and Finny rolled her eyes and said, "Ugh, I don't like popcorn..." Seriously? Jeez. That actually might make her pickier than Eric.

Anyway, Finny was better by yesterday evening, recovering in time to hear Eric chew me out for giving him a Valentine's gift. What a jerk I am, right? Apparently, we have a firmly established inertia concerning gift-giving holidays, an unspoken agreement that I have callously flouted by giving a nice gift without any warning. The good news though is that one of us adhered to rule very nicely. Oh no, wait, I did get a handful of Cadbury cream eggs (I just read this out to Eric and his only response was, "are they not your very favourite?"...touche pussycat, touche).

Molly woke up this morning, ate a bagel, and lost her tooth. She was an even mix of traumatized and excited. You can probably read that on her face below.



I took that shot as she was handing me her tooth, after running into the kitchen lisping. The tooth kind of freaked her out. It had blood on it. She had already decided that she wanted to keep her first lost tooth, so we will have to work something out for the tooth fairy. I mean, the fairy isn't a non-profit or anything. She can't shell out cash when she doesn't get the goods.

The picture of her looking into the mirror is her seeing herself for the first time with a gap-toothed grin.



We popped down to Granville Island this afternoon and found out that every family and tourist currently in the Lower Mainland had the same idea. We got the last bag of frozen doughnuts from Lee's Donuts, picked up a Coco Loco and headed to the upstairs seating area. Then Molly got into her happy doughnut place.



She actually said, "Om...Om..." like she was in the middle of doughnut yoga or something...

Lukey enjoyed the view...



Finny figured out that she could look through the doughnuts. She asked me to take a picture. Sure.



Molly liked that, reproduced it and had a perfect execution. Her eye, as you can see, is right in the middle of the hole. Well done.



Never to be outdone, Lucas had to attempt the "hole peek picture". He took the bronze. By a lot. Plus, he ended up with a face covered in coconut shavings. He even got a crumb in his eye. Fail.



We walked over to the duck pond and fed the fowl. The girls were so into it.





As you will see below, Lukey went from unsure...then uncomfortable and then full retreat.







And then, we played. Some days are diamonds.









No comments: