Tuesday, March 9, 2010

E- Celebration





It's been almost two months since I had the surgery and I've definitely reached a new stage of recovery. I ditched the crutches and started driving weeks ago so I'm not exactly newly independent. However, just recently I really started to feel less fragile and more like I could push myself. Last week I walked home from Main and Second Avenue and today I walked while the kids rode their bikes for almost an hour. Having already done two hours of physiotherapy in the morning, it is quite a bit of exercise for me at this stage and I am really sore afterwards......however only on the other leg....the operated one is fine.

The pain from my left leg is definitely not bad enough to stop me getting out and enjoying being back in the world again though. As long as it's not standing in six hour Olympic line-ups, I have been pretty comfortable with regular daily activities and happy with my progress. A big part of that has been because I am getting such a good rehab program at the Arthritis Centre. They have a very detailed post surgery program that retrains patients in the proper bio mechanics that are often lost due to pain, and certainly was for me.

This new stage of recovery hopefully also means a little more to blog about for me. I have done a lot of sitting on the couch, moving occasionally to the kitchen to eat or floor to exercise but very little I would want to write about. I found it more difficult than I would have imagined to be a good patient and to barely move for the better part of a month. I'm not particularly looking forward to doing it again....on the other hand I just want to move on as quickly as possible.

I celebrated my 36th birthday on Saturday with a really nice combination of friends and family. During the day we took the kids out for a bike ride and gelato in the sunshine. In the evening Les and I went for a swim and hot-tub before meeting the Rennisons, Baileys, and Hills for a great dinner at Trattoria. The evening was topped off with Steve and Kathy singing "Celebration" on stage at the Legion.

No comments: