Thursday, August 5, 2010

Rolling, rolling, rolling down the river


For my Dad's birthday, PJ, Eric and I booked a day-trip of whitewater rafting with him on the Nahatlatch River with REO rafting.

The four of us went rafting on the Chilliwack River about ten years ago. It has become a great family joke because the shore photographer caught a picture of us that still makes me laugh out loud every time I look at it. 

My dad, Eric and I look like we are out on a leisurely afternoon punting on the Thames. Eric even saw the photographer coming, so he pushed up the sleeve of his wetsuit and flexed his arm for all he was worth. We are smiling and relaxed. 

My brother, on the other hand, looks as though he is staring into the pits of hell. His face is contorted with terror. His cheeks are flushed and his eyes are bulging. The picture has been on the wall of my parents' living room ever since.

Needless to say, PJ was motivated to redeem himself. He was scouting the shore for the photographer and practicing his most relaxed grin. 

We had a fantastic time yesterday. I laughed harder than I have in ages. The Nahatlatch is a spectacular river, although some of the most beautiful views were obscured by the smoke from the fire on Jackass Mountain (this provided many jokes). 

There are a lot of pictures below, so feel free to scroll though quickly. In the first picture below Eric and I are in the front wearing white and yellow helmets. Dad and PJ are behind in pink and white, respectively.




This next picture shows how beautiful the river scenery was.










Here is our group photo. You can see the way that Eric is lying in the boat in the shot below. His hips were bothering him a bit after our first of two runs down the river. You really had to twist to paddle, which is the most uncomfortable position for him to be in. He was undecided if he should attempt the second run at all. After talking to the guide, he spent the entire second run lying down just like below, but without a paddle. He drank a lot of water. Unfortunately, there was no photographer that time. It looked hilarious. 


Here is my handsome husband. He looks like a hard-core rafter. I actually think that hanging out of the front of the boat with no paddle IS pretty hard core.


It was a rare treat to spend the day with my three favourite men.

No comments: