Wednesday, January 28, 2009

E- Down time in the middle of winter

In December I got to take part in my first holiday picks for the 2009 year. After our last night shift we had a big pancake breakfast followed by a couple of hours of a holiday draft pick. Unlike a lot of departments that just tell their fire fighters when they have a vacation, we have a pretty cool system that allows everybody to choose. However, priority is seriously biased towards seniority and there aren't many people below me. This is why I have been on vacation for the last couple of weeks of January.

I can hardly complain though, with getting time off and allowing us to catch up on some things. Les has been working incredibly hard writing for hours every day. Apart from a few days in Point Roberts, we have just stayed close to home. Molly has really made strides reading and was able to finish Jack and the Beanstalk, The Ugly Duckling and Snow White with almost no help. I took the girls swimming every couple of days and had a great time playing with them in the water. They are both swimming without help now....but not very strongly. They manage to keep their heads above water and move forward, but just barely. However, they seem to love it and are getting over their fear. They both jump off the one meter diving board now and love playing and racing in the water. I usually run in the pool while they race me using noodles to help them float.

No comments: