Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What's SUP?

One of the things we'd talked about a few times over the course of the trip was stand-up paddleboarding. Eric wanted to try it out, but we just hadn't found the right spot or time. 

We couldn't leave California without giving it a go, so on our last day in L.A., we drove to Sunset Beach and rented a SUP. Good deal, too. $15 for as long as we wanted.

Once he had it, we all wanted to try. Even me. In my clothes. I know secretly (or not so secretly), they all probably wanted me to fall in...

I know I would have laughed pretty hard if Eric had taken a dip...What? You wouldn't laugh? C'mon.

Lukey was the only one who didn't go out on his own. He hitched a ride with Eric instead.

Finny took one spin as a passenger, but then wanted to go it alone.

Molly, too.

I only took a short spin, but I have to say, I really like it. The board is a lot more stable than I would have guessed. And I can certainly see how it is a good workout for your whole body, because while the board isn't very tippy, you still have to work at staying level.

Molly was probably the best. She has a natural feeling for paddling. She seems to know exactly what to do and she has great natural balance.

Finny struggled a bit to get her hands on the paddle correctly. She was strong, though...

Now, this was all kinds of awesome: Molly saw a poster advertising yoga on SUPs and she decided to try. She did a great downward dog and here she is getting into warrior pose:

We gave the paddle board back and piled in the van North. Boo! We had to head home eventually...

We left L.A. at 3:00 on Friday afternoon. We drove for twelve hours straight (a short dinner break, gas stops and bathroom trips aside...). We pulled into Redding, sorted out the beds in the van and slept for six hours.

In the morning, Lukey's tooth FINALLY fell out! Hooray! I was so happy to see it in his hand and not attached to his head. I don't know why I am so squeamish about loose teeth, but they give me the heebie jeebies.

It just plopped right out. Not one drop of blood.

After six hours of rest, it was back onto the I-5. We made it to Portland by 5:00, took a couple of hours break, then homeward. We made it back to Vancouver at about 1 a.m. Not bad. Thirty hours from the time we left. Hey, that's pretty good. Maybe we should just start heading down to California every weekend. We could grab some In n' Out burgers and head back home.

No comments: