Monday, September 23, 2019

This girl

Grad pictures...how did this happen? How did we end up here, with a kid on the brink of heading out into the world? With a girl who looks mature, beautiful and world-ready (ish, world-ready-ish)?

I imagine her the first day of school. The start of gradual entry of afternoon kindergarten...the gentlest of school beginnings. A churning tummy full of blueberry yoghurt that overflowed in nerves. All over her (and me) in the bathroom at False Creek. A quick 12 years later (that sounds sarcastic, but it isn't) and she is looking glorious and oh-so herself in a black dress with Converse. 

She isn't mature, not yet. She still cuddles her hamster at night and laughs when I do voices pretending to be the interior monologue of squirrels we see on lawns. But, hey...I'd do those things, too. Ernie is cute and those voices are hilarious. 

But man, she looks amazing. And she IS amazing. So that's just...well, amazing to me. 





No comments: